With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Francesco Molinari was a stud last week, and, in retrospect, it made a lot of sense to like him considering he came all the way over to the US to play in a weak-field event without double Ryder Cup points on offer. He dominated. However, we did great picking Tiger, and we've had a third and a T-4 in the last three weeks.
This week, The Greenbrier hosts one of the longer-named events on the PGA Tour. It's a weak field again, headed by Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson, who are basically paid to be there.
2018 A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier One and Done picks
- Bubba Watson -- I mean, why not, right? He's won three times this year, and he has a house there.
- Phil Mickelson -- If you didn't use Mickelson early in the year (which you should always do), then maybe he's OK here, but his record at The Old White TPC isn't great.
- Tony Finau -- Finau's coming off a fantastic US Open effort, and he's a star in this field with a good record. (Of course, I burned him.)
- Xander Schauffele -- I would go with Xander this week if I didn't burn him very early in the season.
- Russell Henley -- Gimme Henley. He's hot, and he loves this place.
- Brian Gay -- Gay has been playing hot of late. He's got an incredible short game, and The Old White TPC isn't very long.
My pick this week will be Brian Gay. (I originally had Russell Henley, who I'd still recommend, but I used.) Gay should fit in with this field, and he's been doing well for the last 45 days.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker (T-6)
- Ft. Worth Invitational at Colonial: Chris Kirk (T-11)
- the Memorial Tournament: Marc Leishman (T-62)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Joaquin Niemann (MC)
- US Open: Dustin Johnson (3rd)
- Travelers Championship: Daniel Berger (T-67)
- Quicken Loans National: Tiger Woods (T-4)
- A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier: Brian Gay