With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Houston Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We did well with Patrick Reed at the Match Play, but Grillo fell flat after Day 1 at Punta Cana, though wind may have had something to do with that. This week, we're in Houston for what might be the final Houston Open. Golf Club of Houston is set up like Augusta National, with fast greens and plenty of runoffs to create fascinating short-game options that will simulate what many in the field will see at next week's Masters.
There's one spot left in the field for the year's first men's major. Can someone get it?
2018 Houston Open One and Done picks
- Charles Howell III: Great record here, and he did nicely for himself in the Match Play last week. Must win to get in.
- Daniel Berger: Consecutive T-5 finishes here definitely warrants consideration. Played very well this season save for the Match Play
- Henrik Stenson: Stenson could be a great call given his current form, his history here and a rest with skipping last week.
- Russell Henley: This list pretty much begins and ends with Henley. Loves this event and you wouldn't use him elsewhere.
My pick this week will be Russell Henley. This one is pretty obvious.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley