With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 WGC-Mexico Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Last week was not the best in One and Done picks. Three made the cut, and they didn't finish very well. I saw this pretty much every year, but The Honda Classic may be the worst tournament of the year for fantasy golf. I don't much care for PGA National because of how penal it is, and that often leads to a streaky champion.
Justin Thomas played perfect golf, relative to the field, and won. He was first in pretty much every major statistical category. But we wouldn't use him at Honda. Maybe we would at a WGC, like this week. (But we'll use him at a major.)
This is Year 2 for the WGC-Mexico Championship, and a handful of eligible top 50 players are out. We'll focus this week on international top-ranked players we wouldn't use in majors.
2018 WGC-Mexico Championship One and Done picks
- Tommy Fleetwood: Fleetwood is treated like he's never done anything before, even though he's in contention on the reg in Europe. Love him here.
- Alex Noren: Noren is awfully close to winning in the United States, and keep him in the back of your mind for the Masters.
- Patrick Cantlay: Cantlay is such a strong ballstriker that the tight nature of Club de Golf Chapultepec should work in his favor.
- Chez Reavie: Reavie has been playing such great golf the last 20 months that it's kind of a perfect spot to use him.
My pick this week will be Tommy Fleetwood. Noren would be a good choice, but I'm siding Fleetwood.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood