With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2017 CIMB Classic this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
After a good, albeit safe start at the Safeway Open, we move to the freewheeling Week 2 of the season at the CIMB Classic in Malaysia. The event at TPC Kuala Lumpur is no-cut, meaning you can pick whoever and not feel guilty about it since you're going to cash in some way. I would look at this tournament as a chance to blow off a good player who you wouldn't use in a major but would consider in a World Golf Championships event.
2017 CIMB Classic One and Done picks
- Xander Schauffele: The Rookie of the Year (we're currently still in) might be the prototypical pick. He's got a hot run going, and you're not going to use him in a major.
- Justin Thomas: Do you burn a major winner who also happens to be the two-time defending champion here?
- Hideki Matsuyama: Matsuyama finally came alive on Sunday at Liberty National, but again, why use him here?
- Paul Casey: Fantastic in the playoffs, but you always wonder about the Sunday slide.
- Thomas Pieters: Might not be your first thought in bigger events money-wise, so he could be a great fit here.
My pick this week will be Xander Schauffele. I expect him to have a strong sophomore season, but, just in case, let's get him while he's hot.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele