With a T-3 finish at the Open Championship for his best major effort since the 2009 PGA Championship, Tiger Woods is first in Ryder Cup points.
Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S. team, captained by Davis Love III. After the Open Championship, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week’s position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Tiger Woods (5,598.86; 3)
2. Bubba Watson (5,446.48; 1)
3. Jason Dufner (5,383.50; 2)
4. Webb Simpson (4,635.50; 4)
5. Zach Johnson (4,402.54; 5)
6. Matt Kuchar (4,292.11; 7)
7. Phil Mickelson (4,107.11; 6)
8. Hunter Mahan (4,022.92; 8)
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Keegan Bradley: Since a T-4 in Houston, Bradley has one top-25 finish. Not good.
10. Rickie Fowler: Fowler has been cool in the summer heat. Ever since his final-round 84 at Memorial, Fowler has been mediocre.
11. Brandt Snedeker: Snedeker jumped eight spots this week with his T-3 finish at Lytham. The San Diego winner is suddenly in position to catch an automatic spot.
12. Dustin Johnson: DJ quietly finished T-9 at The Open, looking like a player who could creep into the top eight.
13. Steve Stricker: Stricker had battled back to 11th in the ranking, but was T-23 at Lytham. He still has an advantage over Keegan Bradley.