With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 RBC Canadian Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
Before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
What a Sunday at Carnoustie! We had Tiger leading, Jordan fading, Rory and Justin rising, Eddie Pepperell getting in contention while hungover and, in the end, our first Italian major winner in Francesco Molinari! What a month for him, going from worrying about his PGA Tour card to winning twice, including a major.
This week we're back at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Ontario for the RBC Canadian Open, headlined by two-time defending champion Jhonattan Vegas, world No. 1 Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia. Lots of potential tired golf this week from top players, but this course is easy by PGA Tour standards and seems to favor the bombers.
2018 RBC Canadian Open One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson -- He's an RBC guy, so he'll be here a while. This should suit his game well.
- Brooks Koepka -- Kinda surprised he's playing this week, but hey, he's long and dominant.
- Bubba Watson -- Nearly won here in 2015, Watson has to feel good getting away from links golf, which he hates.
- Tony Finau -- Finau has been a stud in the majors this year, and he's getting close to earning some kind of spot on the Ryder Cup team.
- Jhonny Vegas -- Rough week with visa issues in getting to the Open, and his season hasn't been good, but he clearly loves this golf course.
My pick this week will be Bubba Watson. Watson is a comfort player, and he sees something he likes at Glen Abbey.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner (T-36)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Rickie Fowler (MC)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WD)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Brandt Snedeker (T-20)
- Genesis Open: Paul Casey (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Kiradech Aphibarnrat (T-68)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Tommy Fleetwood (T-14)
- Valspar Championship: Sergio Garcia (4th)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Justin Rose (3rd)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Patrick Reed (T-9)
- Corales Punta Cana Resort and Club Championship: Emiliano Grillo (T-50)
- Houston Open: Russell Henley (T-8)
- Masters: Justin Thomas (T-17)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-23)
- Valero Texas Open: Charley Hoffman (T-64)
- Zurich Classic: Wesley Bryan (MC)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Kyle Stanley (T-13)
- The Players Championship: Bryson DeChambeau (T-37)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Jimmy Walker (T-6)
- Ft. Worth Invitational at Colonial: Chris Kirk (T-11)
- the Memorial Tournament: Marc Leishman (T-62)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Joaquin Niemann (MC)
- US Open: Dustin Johnson (3rd)
- Travelers Championship: Daniel Berger (T-67)
- Quicken Loans National: Tiger Woods (T-4)
- A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier: Brian Gay (T-39)
- John Deere Classic: Francesco Molinari (T-2)
- British Open Championship: Brooks Koepka (T-39)
- RBC Canadian Open: Bubba Watson