With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We hit the mainland United States for the first time in 2018, with the PGA Tour heading to the California desert for the CareerBuilder Challenge -- which should be called The Lefty. Phil Mickelson is the tournament's ambassador once again, and he brings some star power to the tournament. Jon Rahm is in the field, too.
Remember, this is a 156-player event with three courses in the rotation. Each player gets to play each course once over the first three days, then there's a cut to the low 60 and ties for Sunday's final round at the host, PGA West's Stadium Course.
2018 CareerBuilder Challenge One and Done picks
- Phil Mickelson: Lefty has a good record here, and he has always loved aggressive golf. That's what he gets here. And you're unlikely to use him in a non-Augusta major this year.
- Bill Haas: A horse-for-course pick for certain, Haas has a win here and two other top-10s in recent memory.
- Brendan Steele: Already a winner this season, he has a good record in the event. However, he was 29th out of 34 in the Tournament of Champions.
- Brian Harman: The guy is on freakin' fire.
- Jason Dufner: Liking what I'm seeing from Dufner to start the year, and he won here two years ago.
- Zach Johnson: Seen a very nice resurgence from Zach Johnson so far this season, and he's had good results here in the past.
My pick this week will be Jason Dufner. I think he can be a great flow pick for this week.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland (T-7)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Jason Dufner