With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Sony Open in Hawaii this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We have our first full-field event of 2018 this week, with the Sony Open in Hawaii at Waialae Country Club in Honolulu. Waialae winners have played the week prior in 12 of the last 19 years, and that makes sense because they’re typically better players and not rusty. Still, some players have a love for Waialae that you can’t ignore for one-and-done.
2018 Sony Open in Hawaii One and Done picks
- Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas: Please. Don’t. Wait until majors and other big events.
- Charles Howell III: CH3 is a horse-for-course play, and the play which precisely killed me in a pool because of a MC at the RSM. That said, hard to ignore his run of close calls here.
- Brian Harman: Great putter and striking the ball as well as he has in his entire career. Coming off a third-place finish with back-to-back top-15s here.
- Gary Woodland: I typically am biased against Woodland in fantasy, but he’s playing some of the best golf of his career, and he loves Waialae.
My pick this week will be Gary Woodland, because I can’t pick CH3 or Harman.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman (3rd)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Gary Woodland