With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open, continue to the 2018 Sentry Tournament of Champions this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We are back with golf in 2018! The PGA Tour resumes at the winners-only, no-cut event at Kapalua Resort’s Plantation Course on Maui. This Coore-Crenshaw gem is wide open with big greens that are anything but flat and easy. Fairways and greens hit will skyrocket, but scoring is all contingent on getting irons close to the hole and making tricky putts.
Since this is a no-cut event, picking pretty much any player is a fine strategy here. Save big names for big tournaments.
2018 Sentry Tournament of Champions One and Done picks
- Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas: If you’re picking these guys now, don’t finish your league. You will lose.
- Austin Cook: Cook won The RSM to end 2017. He’s a good, young player with a great overall game. With a win in hand, he’s hungry with nothing to lose.
- Rickie Fowler: In my mind, Fowler is better at far too many places to consider using here, but he’s not a guy you’d call a lock for a major or WGC, so maybe he’s OK here.
- Brian Harman: Great putter and striking the ball as well as he has in his entire career.
- Russell Henley: Henley’s a tremendous putter, but I’d be reluctant to pick him thinking W with his mediocre finishes so far in the season.
My pick this week will be Brian Harman, as I love his vibe in Hawaii and his skill set lines up very well.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson (T-17)
- CIMB Classic: Xander Schauffele (T-3)
- CJ Cup at Nine Bridges: Tony Finau (T-26)
- WGC-HSBC Champions: Henrik Stenson (T-2)
- Sanderson Farms Championship: Chesson Hadley (2nd)
- Shriners Hospitals for Children Open: Ryan Moore (T-51)
- OHL Classic at Mayakoba: Pat Perez (T-33)
- The RSM Classic: Charles Howell III (MC)
- Sentry Tournament of Champions: Brian Harman