With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 Safeway Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September 2018, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you’re not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
Hopefully you enjoyed the off-season. All 10 days of it. The PGA Tour season begins anew this week in Napa, Calif., with the Safeway Open. This is a weaker field, no doubt, so it’s not a bad idea to look at the Web.com Tour Finals for help in form.
Before we start the 2017-18 campaign, let’s audit 2017. In 40 tournaments, we picked 3 winners and missed 4 cuts, and picked 23 top-25 finishes. Not as great as we would’ve looked in 2015, but about on level with 2016. Now let’s go get’ em in 2017-18.
2017 Safeway Open One and Done picks
- Kevin Na: Should’ve won this event by now, and he’s got a pair of top-six finishes in the last 5 events. Would be horse-for-course pick.
- Martin Laird: Very much an up-and-down player but he beats up on worse competition, particularly in the fall. Two top-10s in the last three years.
- Phil Mickelson: If you’re looking for a hot start early, Mickelson might be your guy. He came alive again in team competition at the Presidents Cup.
- Chesson Hadley: Chessie was amazing in the Web.com Tour Finals, with a W and a P2. Is he gassed?
- Webb Simpson: Simpson was a hot golfer leading into and through the playoffs. A banner player here this week.
My pick this week will be Webb Simpson. He would be a pick for later in the year at Greensboro, but we’ll go with him while he’s hot.
2017-2018 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- Safeway Open: Webb Simpson