Golf Channel and NBC Sports air the British Open Championship, which starts in the middle of the night for viewers in the United States. On Thursday and Friday, two of the longest days in competitive golf, that means most Americans may have to wait a while to see their favorite players.
However, Golf Channel, the Golf Channel Live Extra app and the NBC Sports Live Extra app offer three extra channels of excellent action from Royal Birkdale. The problem? The screen on your phone or computer isn’t quite as big as your beautiful flat-screen TV.
You can use your Apple device, either the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, with the Apple TV device to stream the British Open Championship digital channels. Here’s how:
- Fire up the Golf Channel Live Extra app or the NBC Sports Live Extra app on your Apple device and start playing one of the digital channels.
- Turn on your Apple TV.
- Drag up from the bottom of your Apple device to pull up a menu with options for turning on AirPlay. In the middle of the screen, press the AirPlay button, allowing the Apple device to be discovered by the Apple TV box.
- Apple TV will automatically discover your Apple device and, when it does, your Apple device will display the name of your Apple TV (usually “Apple TV”).
- Select that Apple TV name.
- The Open video channel you’ve selected will start playing on your Apple TV with high-definition quality.
- If you want to change digital channels, do it on your Apple device in the app.