With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 US Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
It's here! The second major of the year is upon us, with Erin Hills hosting the U.S. Open for the first time. Dustin Johnson defends the title he won at Oakmont last year, and, unlike most weeks in the middle of the season, our picks are pretty clear.
2017 US Open One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: I mean, what are we doing if we're not using DJ here? This course should suit him wonderfully. He can handle all of the demanding shots on the course, and he's the best golfer on the planet.
- Rory McIlroy: Alright, maybe you want to use Rory McIlroy. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT that he's been out since The Players, missing two starts with a hurt back and ribs. Tread lightly. Save for the PGA.
- Jason Day: Day is seemingly coming around, and he almost won the Nelson again. He just had his best finish at Memorial, which is good.
- Jordan Spieth: Spieth is such a great grinder, and his wedge play has improved, which should be key at Erin Hills. He's having a hard time finishing tournaments, though.
- Rickie Fowler: This seems like a Rickie-kinda major. The Rickster is also having trouble finishing off wins, but he keeps putting himself in contention.
My pick this week will be Dustin Johnson. We've been waiting all year to use DJ, and now's the time.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell (T-35)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Brooks Koepka (T-50)
- Dean & DeLuca Invitational at Colonial: Bud Cauley (T-41)
- the Memorial Tournament: Tony Finau (T-40)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Phil Mickelson
- U.S. Open: Dustin Johnson