With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 FedEx St. Jude Classic this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We're walkin' in Memphis (sorry) before the U.S. Open! The FedEx St. Jude Classic host course, TPC Southwind, is usually brown, a little firm and a good test where 12 under is a great score. This event is for the smattering of pros who want to play their way into a major by getting a rep.
2017 FedEx St. Jude Classic One and Done picks
- Phil Mickelson: Well, he's not playing the US Open to go to his daughter's graduation, where she's speaking. So why not use him at a venue he loves?
- Brooks Koepka: Koepka has been on a good run, and he has been on the medal stand in Memphis each of the last two years.
- Seung-yul Noh: OK, why mention a guy who has missed six of his last 10 cuts? Because he's been in the top seven three of the last six years. Flier.
- Rickie Fowler: Fowler's an interesting pick, especially considering his current form. Are you going to use him on a bigger stage, like a WGC or a major? Then you skip this week. Otherwise, worth a look.
My pick this week will be Phil Mickelson. I don't really have a lot of places to use him otherwise, so let's go here.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell (T-35)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Brooks Koepka (T-50)
- Dean & DeLuca Invitational at Colonial: Bud Cauley (T-41)
- the Memorial Tournament: Tony Finau (T-40)
- FedEx St. Jude Classic: Phil Mickelson