The USGA has released the list of sectional qualifying sites and dates for the 2017 U.S. Open, as well announced the number of spots in the U.S. Open field available at each site.
A total of 12 sectional qualifiers will be conducted from May 22, 29 and June 5, with one international qualifier held on the 22nd (Japan) and 29th (England). These are 36-hole events, with the top finishers moving on to the 2017 U.S. Open. The 2017 U.S. Open dates are June 15-18.
All told, 72 players will earn spots through sectional qualifying.
Orville Moody was the last player to win the U.S. Open after advancing through local qualifying, winning the U.S. Open in 1969.
2017 U.S. Open sectional qualifying sites
- Ono Golf Club, Ono City, Japan - 4 spots
- Walton Heath Golf Club, Surrey, England - 13 spots
- Big Canyon Country Club & Newport Beach Country Club, Newport Beach, Calif. - 103 players for 5 spots
- Jupiter Hills Club (Hills Course), Tequesta, Fla. - 49 players for 3 spots
- Hawks Ridge Golf Club, Ball Ground, Ga. - 36 players for 2 spots
- Woodmont Country Club (North Course), Rockville, Md. - 50 players for 3 spots
- Canoe Brook Country Club (North and South Courses), Summit, N.J. - 80 players for 5 spots
- Brookside Golf & Country Club & Lakes Golf & Country Club, Columbus, Ohio - 120 players for ~20 spots
- Springfield Country Club, Springfield, Ohio - 77 players for 4 spots
- Germantown Country Club & Ridgeway Country Club, Memphis, Tenn. - 108 players for ~14 spots
- Lakewood Country Club, Dallas, Texas - 58 players for 3 spots
- Tacoma Country & Golf Club, Lakewood, Wash. - 70 players for 4 spots
U.S. Open qualifying requirements
Qualifiers are open to any professionals or players with a USGA handicap index of 1.4 or lower, and they must enter by the April 26 deadline.