With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 AT&T Byron Nelson this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We're post-Players now and in Texas for two weeks. The Nelson is in its final year at TPC Four Seasons, a much-maligned venue, and will move to the lauded Coore/Crenshaw-designed Trinity Forest next year. However, we've got a sneaky good field here this week.
2017 AT&T Byron Nelson One and Done picks
- Brooks Koepka: Runner-up here last year to Sergio, and he's been playing great golf of late. You probably haven't used him.
- Charles Howell III: If you somehow haven't used CH3 yet, he's a good pick here. He's been in the top four two of the last three years.
- Charley Hoffman: If you didn't use Hoffman at Valero or Harbour Town, then here's another opportunity. He has three top-15 finishes in the last six years.
- Dustin Johnson: DJ plays in this event very well, but are you seriously going to use him pre-U.S. Open?
- Jason Dufner: Dufner has a good record at TPC Four Seasons (past winner), and he's also making made money getting to the weekend. Just one missed cut this season.
My pick this week will be Brooks Koepka. It's a little bit of a gamble, but Brooks is playing well.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)
- Wells Fargo Championship: Francesco Molinari (T-24)
- The Players Championship: Kevin Chappell (T-35)
- AT&T Byron Nelson: Brooks Koepka