Looking for 2017 The Players Championship picks, either for betting or fantasy golf games like DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, Golf Channel or the PGA Tour?
We have your 2017 The Players Championship rankings and expert picks, as we do each week of the PGA Tour season.
The Players Championship is here, and we're excited. It's one of the great tournaments of the year on a course that truly favors no particular player. A lot of the greats have won here, and so have a lot of head-scratchers. Play great golf, and you win, and it's that simple. It isn't most weeks on Tour, where course length, setup and other factors have so much influence over the subset of the field that can win. That makes this event special, but it also makes it hard to predict.
For those new to our weekly picks, we offer our top 10 players for free. GNN Plus members get additional analysis and research otherwise hidden to the general public, and that's in addition to access to a searchable database of PGA Tour results from 2011-present, top-15 PGA Tour trends and season-long DraftKings salary trends.
2017 The Players Championship rankings: Top 10 picks
1. Rory McIlroy - McIlroy has an excellent record at TPC Sawgrass, not finishing out of the top 12 in the last four years. However, he's been off since the Masters and will be playing new sticks this week.
2. Dustin Johnson - You have to put Johnson up high on the list. He's gone 1-1-1-T2. But his Sawgrass record is modest. He makes cuts but doesn't have a top 10.
3. Jon Rahm - This is perhaps a little premature to rank to Rahm so highly on this kind of stage, but he's been an absolute stud in 20 professional starts. His only stumble in the last two months has been on Sunday at the Masters.
4. Sergio Garcia - Garcia is returning to golf after his Masters win and celebrating for a month. Celebrate forever, Sergio. However, Garcia has a great Sawgrass record, including a 2008 win. He loves here.
5. Jordan Spieth - Spieth's schedule has been light since the Masters, making a nice charge with Ryan Palmer at the Zurich. Fell apart on Sunday at Augusta, but he's been pretty spiffy all year.
6. Rickie Fowler - The Rickster has a knack for playing well at Sawgrass, with an incredible 2015 win and a 2012 runner-up. Already a winner this year, he missed the cut at the Zurich with Jason Day.
7. Jason Day - The defending champion is still getting into this year. He's been through quite a bit personally, so it's all understandable. He has an iffy Sawgrass record. He either finishes top 20 or misses the cut in the last five years.
8. Matt Kuchar - Kuchar has been getting into good form over the last 45 days. He had a fabulous Sunday at the Masters, then back-doored a near top 10 at Harbour Town. He's a past Players winner and was in the top three here last year.
9. Hideki Matsuyama - Matsuyama cooled off from his amazing pace at the end of '16 and early '17. He's a great ballstriker, who was T-11 at the Masters. Putting liability isn't as big of a deal here.
10. Kevin Chappell - Chappell is the hot hand of sorts, winning the Valero Texas Open. He was a runner-up last year to Jason Day.
My DraftKings lineup for this week:
- Sergio Garcia - $10,200
- Kevin Chappell - $8,500
- Pat Perez - $8,100
- Matt Kuchar - $7,900
- Francesco Molinari - $7,700
- Jimmy Walker - $7,200
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools, sign up for GNN Plus to gain access to the analysis! Your first two months' dues will be donated to one of two charities: Special Olympics or The First Tee!