With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Wells Fargo Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We are a week away from The Players, and we get our annual first North Carolina stop with the Wells Fargo Championship. However, this year we're at the Tom Fazio-designed Eagle Point Golf Club in Wilmington, not Charlotte and Quail Hollow. This course has drawn rave reviews for conditioning and its look-a-like nature compared to Augusta National. We have a decent field, but not an incredibly deep one a week out from the fifth major.
2017 Wells Fargo Championship One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: Best player in the field, yes, but a lot of red flags this week: first start back since the Masters Stairs Incident of 2017, new course for him and you use should use him at the U.S. Open
- Kevin Kisner: Kisner has played great golf for two months. You're not likely to use him in a major championship. Why not go with the hot hand, especially after good finishes on courses placing importance on short game?
- Francesco Molinari: In the analytics community, Molinari gets a lot of love for his consistency. Reasonably so. He's missed one cut this year.
- Brian Harman: Harman would be a fascinating gamble this week. He's been in the top 14 in three of his last four starts. But he's a little wild at times.
My pick this week will be Francesco Molinari. Looking for a cut made on an unknown course this week.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele (T-62)
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans: Ryan Palmer (with Jordan Spieth) (4th)