With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Valero Texas Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We are in Texas for the third time in about a month, this time in San Antonio for the Valero Texas Open at TPC San Antonio's Greg Norman-designed AT&T Oaks Course. The field isn't deep at all, but there are a number of key players who love this event.
2017 Valero Texas Open One and Done picks
- Brendan Steele: Steele is a past winner here, a winner this year and he hasn't missed a cut all year. Sounds great to us.
- Charley Hoffman: Remember when we asked where else you would use Choff other than Harbour Town? Here. It's here. Defending champion and nothing but top-15 finishes the last six years.
- Matt Kuchar: If you didn't use Kuch at Harbour Town, here's another great place for him. Three top-15s the last five years at the Oaks Course.
- Kevin Chappell: This might be a sweet spot for Chappell, who finished T-7 at the Masters and CBS didn't show him on TV. Good record here.
- Daniel Summerhays: This is a niche pick for sure, but Summerhays absolutely loves TPC San Antonio. Great record here, and this is the closest he's come to winning.
My pick this week will be Brendan Steele. For some reason, what Hoffman did in letting the Masters get away from him seems to be lingering a little.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes (MC)
- Masters Tournament: Jordan Spieth (T-11)
- RBC Heritage: Matt Kuchar (T-11)
- Valero Texas Open: Brendan Steele