The 2017 Masters Thursday pin sheet has been released for the opening round during which a steady wind of 20-25 mph is expected throughout the day, with gusts of more than 35 mph. That weather will impact how Augusta National plays and how the 94-player field will approach the course. So, too, will the hole locations (pin placements) as selected by the Masters Tournament Committee.
2017 Masters Thursday first round pin placements
Some things to note:
- The hole location on the par-5 2nd is arguably the most difficult on the hole, requiring a player to lay up to the right to have a chance to reach it
- The pin on the par-3 6th is accessible, though, depending on the wind, it brings the deep bunker in front of the green into play
- The hole location on the 11th is awkward -- generous in that it's not at the water side, difficult in that missing the green makes getting up-and-down a touch chip
- On the 12th hole, the hole location is arguably in the most difficult position, located where the green is thinnest
- At the par-3 16th, the hole location is just shy of the Sunday location, so players will have to judge the slope differently
Thursday scoring is expected to be difficult, thanks to the wind, leaving the possibility of a number of rounds in the 80s.