With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Shell Houston Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We are at the Last Chance Saloon this week with the Shell Houston Open. This is the last Masters invite on the line: win and you're in, if you're not in already. We typically get a close finish at Golf Club of Houston, which is set up to look and play somewhat like Augusta National.
2017 Shell Houston Open One and Done picks
- Charles Howell III: Yet another CH3 special. He needs a win to get in the Masters, and he's got a slew of top-15 finishes here.
- J.B. Holmes: A great spot to use Holmes. He's a horse-for-course pick and he hasn't missed a paycheck this season.
- Matt Kuchar: Kooch is a great pick here. He's playing well, with a string of top-20 finishes, and he's a past playoff loser here.
- Dustin Johnson: DO NOT USE HIM. SAVE HIM FOR NEXT WEEK. I AM.
My pick this week will be J.B. Holmes. He's a horse-for-course and I'm unlikely to use him elsewhere.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello (T-38)
- Valspar Championship: Charles Howell III (T-49)
- Arnold Palmer Invitational: Henrik Stenson (MC)
- Puerto Rico Open: Peter Uihlein (T-5)
- WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play: Tyrrell Hatton (T-17)
- Shell Houston Open: J.B. Holmes