For the first time in 2017, a trio of World Long Drive Association (formerly Long Drivers of America) events will air on television, with Golf Channel televising a pair of events ahead of the annual World Long Drive Championship.
The first event, airing June 6, will be called the Clash in the Canyon and will be held in Mesquite, Nev., at the former site of the World Long Drive Championship from 2008-12. The Clash in the Canyon will have a 32-man field competing in the Open Division, pulling from the Official World Long Drive rankings, with the winner getting $20,000 of the $50,000 purse. A 16-player Women's Division will vie for a separate title with a $15,000 purse and $7,000 first prize. Qualifying rounds will bring the field down to eight men and four women before the TV portion.
The second event, airing July 25, is called the Mile High Showdown. Details weren't released about the event other than that it will take place in Denver.
These are two of eight qualifying events on the Open Division schedule, with four competitors from each event earning a berth into the World Long Drive Championship.
The World Long Drive Championship will air Sept. 5-6, once again from WinStar World Casino & Resort in Thackerville, Okla. A 96-player Open Division will battle for a $270,000 purse.
The Women's Division will have 32 players competing for a $40,000 purse.
2017 World Long Drive Association schedule
- March 24-27: Endless Summer Invitational, Huntington Beach, Calif.
- April 21-23: East Coast Classic; West Columbia, S.C.
- May 18-20: WinStar Midwest Slam, Thackerville, Okla.
- June 3-6: Clash in the Canyon, Mesquite, Nev.
- June 23-25: Bluff City Shootout, Memphis, Tenn.
- July 6-8: Rockwell Blast, West Bountiful, Utah
- July 22-25: Mile High Showdown, Denver, Colo.
- Aug. 4-6: Catawba Classic, Hickory, N.C.
- Aug. 31-Sept. 6: World Long Drive Championship, Thackerville, Okla.