With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 WGC-Mexico Championship this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to Mexico for the first-ever WGC-Mexico Championship, with the world's best gathering in Mexico City at massive altitude for this new tournament. We don't have course history, obviously, so our one-and-done job is a little tougher this week.
2017 WGC-Mexico Championship One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: How can you not like DJ at altitude? He can already bring a course to its knees at sea level; however, it appears tight in spots.
- Adam Scott: Scott would be a great ballstriker's choice here, able to move the ball as he needs to around this course. He's also in solid-enough form.
- Rickie Fowler: Missed Rickie last week at Honda? Not a bad pick to bring him in this week. Playing great golf all season long.
- Sergio Garcia: Garcia played very well in The Honda Classic, and it seems like this is a ballstriker's course.
- Rafa Cabrera Bello: This is a potentially great week to burn a European Tour player. After all, not many chances to use them. RCB has been brilliant this season.
My pick this week will be Rafa Cabrera Bello. It's a free pick and keeps some other PGA Tour players in play for other events.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner (21st)
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker (MC)
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas (T-17)
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker (T-9)
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose (T-39)
- Genesis Open: Sergio Garcia (T-49)
- The Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler (WIN)
- WGC-Mexico Championship: Rafa Cabrera Bello