With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to the Monterey Peninsula for the old Crosby Clambake for the 2017 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth and Jason Day lead the field, where Vaughn Taylor defends. The celebrities are out in force, but the pace is slow until Sunday.
2017 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am One and Done picks
- Dustin Johnson: If you're not going to use DJ in a major (and you should), then here's the spot. Three wins, loves the place and competing in the pro-am with his future father-in-law, Wayne Gretzky
- Jason Day: Same for J. Day: Loves the event, and he's great to use if you figure he's not contending in a major this year
- Jimmy Walker: Walker has five top-15 finishes here in the last six years. However, the gamble is that he's missed his last two cuts
- Phil Mickelson: With so many good Augusta choices, hard to not think of Phil here as a past champion and a guy who nearly won last year
- Brandt Snedeker: Former winner coming off a T-9 at Torrey Pines that looked more like a guy with a great early-season track record
- Justin Rose: A great pick for a non-major because of his consistency, and he's off to a hot start
My pick this week will be Justin Rose. I'll use the others, sans Walker, who I used already, in the majors.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama (WIN)
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Justin Rose