With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to the Phoenix area and TPC Scottsdale for one of the rowdiest events in sports, including the most entertaining hole in golf at the par-3 16th. This is a week for ballstrikers, as looking at historical winners shows you don't have to be a great putter or particularly long to take down this Tom Weiskopf design.
2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open One and Done picks
- Ryan Moore: We haven't seen RyMo much in 2017, so it would be a little gamble to pick him, but he was T-3 at the Tournament of Champions and is a top-15 regular here.
- Bubba Watson: If this were a pure horse-for-course pick, it's Bubba. He's always in the top-15 here. But he wasn't great at the TOC and is playing sparingly.
- Hideki Matsuyama: If you haven't already blown Hideki, this would be a great spot. Loves the course and is a past winner and playoff loser here.
- Brendan Steele: Steele would be a great "value" pick here, playing very well and already with a win on the year. He has an affinity for the course.
- Phil Mickelson: Mickelson almost shot 59 here a few years back, and he's regularly playing his way into contention.
My pick this week will be Hideki Matsuyama. Seems like the time to run on him here and hope we catch him before any potential wane in form.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas
- Farmers Insurance Open: Brandt Snedeker
- Waste Management Phoenix Open: Hideki Matsuyama