With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2017 CareerBuilder Challenge this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to the U.S. mainland and the California desert for the CareerBuilder Challenge, an event played out on three courses over the first three days with a pro-am format. This event typically features what's dubbed Dome Golf, played under perfect conditions ripe for low scores. However, with rain and wind expected in the forecast (bye, bye, drought!), things will be different at host PGA West's TPC Stadium Course and Nicklaus Tournament Course, as well La Quinta Country Club.
2017 CareerBuilder Challenge One and Done picks
- Bill Haas: A two-time winner in the event has four top-10 finishes here in the last six years. He's the all-time money leader in the event, which has been going on some 55 years.
- Charles Howell III: No wins here, but Chucky 3 Sticks is as well a choice here as last week at Sony. Horse. For. Course.
- Ryan Palmer: Palmer has three top-six finishes here and four top-10 finishes in the last six years. Disappointed at Sony, but that's OK.
- Brian Gay: This is an under-the-radar pick if you're feeling squeezed, but Gay had a great three-year run here with a win and a 5th-place finish from 2011-13.
My pick this week will be Bill Haas. He's the all-time money winner here, and this is where he typically does a lot of damage.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker
- CareerBuilder Challenge: Bill Haas