With the PGA Tour deciding to offer a one-and-done fantasy golf platform starting in 2017, as well the increasing number of private one-and-done leagues, we here at Golf News Net will offer weekly one-and-done fantasy golf picks separate from our weekly fantasy golf rankings and picks.
We began with the 2017 SBS Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, continue to the 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii this week and will work through the Tour Championship in Atlanta in September, keeping track of our picks all along the way.
First, before we begin, if you're not familiar with game, read this primer on the one-and-done fantasy golf format, and welcome to the game. It really is as easy as it sounds, but you have to take a long-term view of the season to figure out how best to use players.
We move to Honolulu for the Sony Open in Hawaii, the first full-field event of the year. Unlike last week, we have a cut, so there's no guarantee of four weeks with an able-bodied player. Waialae Country Club has a LOT of horses for this course, so there's not a lot of need to take a gamble on a hot player. However, if you're going to burn someone like Justin Thomas or Hideki Matsuyama here, I'm not blaming you.
2017 Sony Open in Hawaii One and Done picks
- Jimmy Walker: Walker's a past winner here and had a great week to kick off the year at Kapalua. Hot and playing well? Check. Loves this venue? Check.
- Charles Howell III: Chucky 3 Sticks is going to win this event some day. He's a top-15 staple at Waialae, although he always seems to find a way to back down. But there aren't many other places you'd use him.
- Chris Kirk: Kirk is a little mercurial, though he has a good track record here, and he played great in the fall portion of the schedule.
- Jerry Kelly: How many other times would you use a 50-year-old guy in one-and-done? Stricker at the Deere? That's it. Kelly loves this event.
My pick this week will be Jimmy Walker. He loves the shoulder portions of the season, so it's a good time to use him.
2017 PGA Tour One-and Done Picks
- SBS Tournament of Champions: Jason Dufner
- Sony Open in Hawaii: Jimmy Walker
SUPPORT GNN IN OUR MISSION TO CHANGE GOLF MEDIA
For just $10 annually, you'll get:
- An ad-free experience
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research
- Special discounts and member benefits
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- A USGA handicap for just $20 per year