Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues, daily fantasy golf lineups, Yahoo fantasy golf, Golf Channel fantasy golf and PGA Tour fantasy golf leagues.
The PGA Tour is back for 2017, baby! The SBS Tournament of Champions kicks off on Thursday from the Plantation Course at Kapalua Resort in Hawaii. The winners-only event is headed by defending champion Jordan Spieth, who won here in an eight-shot rout last year.
For those new to our weekly picks, we offer our top 10 players for free. GNN Plus members get additional analysis and research otherwise hidden to the general public, and that's in addition to access to a searchable database of PGA Tour results from 2011-present, top-15 PGA Tour trends and season-long DraftKings salary trends.
2017 SBS Tournament of Champions top 10 picks
1. Hideki Matsuyama - How can you not like a guy who is the hottest on the planet? Four wins in his final five 2016 starts. He was on the medal stand here in his debut in 2015.
2. Jordan Spieth - Spieth won in Australia to end 2016. He's the defending champion. He's only been in the top two in two prior starts.
3. Dustin Johnson - DJ is a past winner here, and he doesn't necessarily have to play controlled golf off the tee because Kapalua is so open. This should be a great fit for him again.
4. Patrick Reed - Reed loves this event, and he's a great wedge player, which suits the Plantation Course. Don't think the notion of turning his Ryder Cup heroism into a brilliant '17 isn't on his mind.
5. Jason Day - Day would rank higher, but we just don't know where he is with his back problems that plagued him at the end of the year. Otherwise has a good track record.
6. Justin Thomas - This seems like it could be the year Justin Thomas asserts himself as a top-20 player in the world. A wide open golf course seems perfect for his style.
7. Russell Knox - Hard not to like Knox, with three top-10 finishes to conclude the fall portion of the season. If the wind picks up, who more do you want than a Scot?
8. Jason Dufner - The Dufdaddy is making his 2016-17 debut, so we're light on form details. However, he likes this event and he's an excellent ballstriker.
9. Bubba Watson - We didn't talk a lot about Bubba Watson in 2016, and he could be making equipment changes. However, he loves this golf course because it suits his imagination. Has to be driven by the Ryder Cup snub.
10. Cody Gribble - Gribble got here with a win at the Sanderson Farms, and he carried through with good finishes through the fall. If we're looking at someone with a great fall season that isn't Matsuyama, this is it.
My DraftKings lineup for this week:
- Hideki Matsuyama - $11,000
- Patrick Reed - $9,500
- Russell Knox - $8,200
- Brendan Steele - $7,600
- Pat Perez - $7,100
- Jhonny Vegas - $6,500
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools, sign up for GNN Plus to gain access to the analysis! Your first two months' dues will be donated to one of two charities: Special Olympics or The First Tee!