Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. (Be aware of the risks in playing daily fantasy sports tournaments.) You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
This week, the first World Golf Championships event of the year kicks off at Trump National Doral with the Blue Monster serving host to one of the stronger small fields of the year. Dustin Johnson is defending champion as Adam Scott rides a huge wave of momentum into the week.
For GNN Plus subscribers, you can access our top-15 finish chart and season-long trends on DraftKings valuations. They'll be available at your disposal as part of a growing set of tools to help in your research. Going forward, GNN Plus subscribers will also get access to the last five years of leaderboards for an event, namely the top 15 and ties from 2011-2015, the data that we use to define our horses for courses each week.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW
Now, on to the picks!
1. Adam Scott -- The Honda Classic winner has gone T-2, WIN. Sounds good to me. And, oh yeah, four top-15 finishes here in the last five years. Auto pick.
2. Bubba Watson -- Watson is also another automatic pick this week, despite the fact that he has been a vocal critic of Gil Hanse's redesign. The Riviera winner has been in the top three here in three of the last four years.
3. Rory McIlroy -- McIlroy missed the cut again at Honda, which leads us to believe that's just not his bag. However, he loves Doral. Four top 15s here in the last five years.
4. Rickie Fowler -- Fowler fell apart a little on Saturday at the Honda after playing what amounts to a perfect first 36 at PGA National. Two top 15s here, playing great overall.
5. J.B. Holmes -- How no one is talking about J.B. Holmes of late is a crime, so let us do it. Four top 15s in the last five PGA Tour events. Runner-up here last year.
6. Dustin Johnson -- Johnson, the defending champion, is a top-15 machine at this course. His length is a huge asset here. He was fourth in his last start at Riviera.
7. Henrik Stenson -- Stenson may well fly in here under the radar because of the great play from top players on the PGA Tour, but he's playing excellent golf coming off off-season knee surgery. He was T-4 here last year and this place sets up for his game.
8. Justin Rose -- Rose is a former winner at Doral back in 2012 and had a nice defense. Hasn't been swell on the redesign, so that's something to worry about this week.
9. Jordan Spieth -- Spieth was no good at Riviera, a place he loves. Call it a bad day on Thursday and the kick in the butt he needs. He lacks the length to do his short-game thing here, but if the wind isn't a huge factor, Spieth should be.
10. Louis Oosthuizen -- Oosthuizen ended a nearly two-year winless drought on the European Tour last week at the Perth International in Australia. He's long and has a grooved swing. That's a dangerous Louis.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Adam Scott -- $11,600
2. J.B. Holmes -- $9,400
3. Billy Horschel -- $7,700
4. Shane Lowry -- $7,400
5. Jason Dufner -- $7,200
6. Jamie Donaldson -- $6,700
If you want to win at DraftKings daily fantasy golf, you have to figure out a way to find six golfers that play all 72 holes and earn roughly 85 points each.
You likely have to identify a couple of players in the top five, at least the top seven, and you'd ideally not have a player finish outside the top 20.
Doing that takes research, looking at a variety of factors, including:
- Finish trends, both in recent weeks on the PGA Tour and at that week's event,
- Salary trends, deciphering which players are showing value based on their performance, and
- Statistical trends, identifying the common threads among winners in that week's event
That's what Golf News Net will deliver each week to GNN Plus members in this space, offering a complete research package which dives into these three areas to find the players that should be in your lineup for this week's WGC-Cadillac Championship.
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools, sign up for GNN Plus to gain access to the analysis!
BECOME A GNN PLUS MEMBER NOW!
Cancel anytime for a pro-rated refund
[one_half] ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP:
$30 for 12 months' access
$3 for 30 days' access [/one_half_last]