Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. (Be aware of the risks in playing daily fantasy sports tournaments.) You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
It ate into the Super Bowl a bit, but Hideki Matusyama and Rickie Fowler in a playoff for the Waste Management Phoenix Open was more entertaining than the first quarter of the Broncos-Panthers tussle anyhow. Fortunately, we had both playoff participants for you in our top 10.
If you're a GNN Plus subscriber, you also had some sleepers to love.
For GNN Plus subscribers, you can access our top-15 finish chart and season-long trends on DraftKings valuations. They'll be available at your disposal as part of a growing set of tools to help in your research. Going forward, GNN Plus subscribers will also get access to the last five years of leaderboards for an event, namely the top 15 and ties from 2011-2015, the data that we use to define our horses for courses each week.
This week, the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am is one of the great events in terms of quality of golf courses, but it's awful to watch on TV and it's pretty difficult to follow for the first three days. Fun!
Now, on to the picks!
1. Jordan Spieth -- He's the best on the planet and great in this event. He's been T-4 and T-7 here the last two years, and his scoring average is best among players with at least 30 rounds in this event.
2. Brandt Snedeker -- Two-time champion here, defending champion and a winner at Torrey Pines. Started the year T3-P2-1. Not bad.
3. Dustin Johnson -- Two-time winner here, although one came in 54-hole fashion. Been in the top 10 the last two years here and off to a pretty solid start overall.
4. Phil Mickelson -- Four-time champion here and all-time money winner. T-3 at CareerBuilder to start the year and T-11 at Phoenix. Skip over the Torrey Pines MC, he was still angry about not getting the North Course redesign gig.
5. Jimmy Walker -- Walker has been in the top 15 here in four of the last five years, and he was the winner here in 2014. He hasn't finished outside of the top 13 in three starts this year. Had a chance to win at Torrey.
6. Jason Day -- Day has gotten off to a slow start compared to where he finished 2015, but he's done fairly well in this event, including a T-4 last year.
7. Bubba Watson -- Watson might whine about the pace of play this week with the amateurs, but he'll keep it to himself. Hasn't played here since 2007 and was lured back by the idea of teaming with Mark Wahlberg, so fun -- good for Bubba -- should be on the agenda.
8. J.B. Holmes -- Holmes has two top-13 finishes here in the last five years and has been T-6 in each of his last two starts. Heading in the right direction.
9. Patrick Reed -- Reed isn't playing quite as well after the runner-up at Kapalua, but he's been dealing with a foot issue. Two top-15 finishes here.
10. Shane Lowry -- Lowry was T-6 last week in Phoenix, and this is just an instinct pick. There are a lot of guys with better consistency (because they've played more here), but we'll cover them in the GNN Plus analysis. Lowry is a class player.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Brandt Snedeker - $11,100
2. J.B. Holmes - $9,800
3. Bryce Molder - $7,800
4. Aaron Baddeley - $7,400
5. Kevin Streelman - $7,300
6. Richard H. Lee - $6,500
If you want to win at DraftKings daily fantasy golf, you have to figure out a way to find six golfers that play all 72 holes and earn roughly 85 points each.
You likely have to identify a couple of players in the top five, at least the top seven, and you'd ideally not have a player finish outside the top 20.
Doing that takes research, looking at a variety of factors, including:
- Finish trends, both in recent weeks on the PGA Tour and at that week's event,
- Salary trends, deciphering which players are showing value based on their performance, and
- Statistical trends, identifying the common threads among winners in that week's event
That's what Golf News Net will deliver each week to GNN Plus members in this space, offering a complete research package which dives into these three areas to find the players that should be in your lineup for this week's AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.
To access this research hidden below and MANY more fantasy golf tools,
sign up for GNN Plus to gain access to the analysis!
BECOME A GNN PLUS MEMBER NOW!
Cancel anytime for a pro-rated refund
[one_half] ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP:
$30 for 12 months' access
$3 for 30 days' access [/one_half_last]