Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
The PGA Tour starts its two-week Asian swing this week in Malaysia with the CIMB Classic and Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club. This is the third year for the CIMB Classic as a full-fledged PGA Tour event, offering a full complement of FedEx Cup points.
Ryan Moore is the two-time defending champion of the event, which has a 78-player field that is largely based on the prior season's FedEx Cup standings. Several Asian Tour stars are in the field, too.
We didn't have Smylie Kaufman winning in Vegas last week, but if you saw that coming, then you're a genius and don't need us!
STORY CONTINUES BELOW
On to the picks!
1. Henrik Stenson -- The Swede has never played in this event, but that doesn't mean a whole lot considering his recent form, including three runner-up finishes in the four FedEx Cup playoff events. He's hot.
2. Kevin Na -- At some point, Na has to nod off, but he's been second in his last two starts. It's hard to argue with the results. The time change could be an issue coming from Las Vegas, but he was T-2 here last year.
3. Patrick Reed -- We like Reed here for a couple of reasons. He finished T-3 at the Hong Kong Open last week on the European Tour, so he's also already on time. He was T-26 here last year.
4. Ryan Moore -- The two-time defending champion here is off to an OK start on the new season, with a T-10 at Frys on the back of a solid weekend and a T-43 in a home game in Vegas.
5. Branden Grace -- Now a PGA Tour member, Grace makes his debut after a historic, undefeated performance at the Presidents Cup. Seems likely to continue the good play.
6. Sergio Garcia -- Garcia hasn't been very active since the PGA Championship, but he has a good record in this event, with a T-2 last year and a T-11 the year prior.
7. Justin Thomas -- Thomas is playing very good golf, finishing T-3 at the Frys.com Open to kick off the new season. He's a great par-5 scorer, which should come in handy on this sub-7,000-yard par-72 track.
8. Paul Casey -- Casey is coming back after a layoff from the FedEx Cup playoffs, wrapping a brilliant 2014-15 season. He's doing everything well right now, and that's going to work anywhere.
9. Hideki Matsuyama -- Matsuyama has a pair of top-26 finishes in this event, which isn't all that special considering the limited field. However, the Japanese star has a way of finding a spot inside the top 25, sometimes the top 10.
10. Gary Woodland -- Woodland, like Moore, has a clear affinity for the event, with two runner-up finishes here. However, he wasn't anything special in the FedEx Cup playoffs.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Branden Grace -- $10,500
2. Gary Woodland -- $8,700
3. Cameron Tringale -- $8,000
4. Nick Watney -- $7,900
5. Daniel Summerhays -- $7,800
6. Rory Sabbatini -- $7,100