Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Play with us this week! Get a free $2 entry with your first deposit.
The PGA Tour moves down the California coast to Los Angeles for the Northern Trust Open at Riviera Country Club, called Hogan's Alley and a major championship venue beyond its yearly duties on the PGA Tour.
Bubba Watson is your defending champion here, trying to hold off the likes of Jimmy Walker, Dustin Johnson, Bill Haas and others in a bid to become the third player this season (Ryan Moore, Walker) to successfully defend their title.
Yes, our winning streak ended at three in a row -- we almost put Brandt Snedeker on our picks, but alas, we didn't -- but we gave you pretty much the rest of the top five in our picks, so let's see if we can't get back on track this week.
Now, on to the picks!
1. Dustin Johnson -- Three top-four finishes at Riviera since 2010 and was T-4 last week at Pebble Beach. Johnson said after his closing 66 at the Clambake that his game is close. I'll buy that.
2. Bubba Watson -- After a couple of weeks off, Bubba's back to defend. Had Phoenix in his grasp but a balky putter cost him the win. Somewhat surprising he won here last year, but is playing well and knows how to close.
3. Jimmy Walker -- Walker finished a modest T-21 in a defense at Pebble Beach, but was never really a factor. He had consecutive T-4 finishes in 2011 and '12 at Riviera and is always worth a look with his length and accuracy off the tee.
4. Bill Haas -- Fellow Team Bald member Bill Haas has been in the top 25 in his last four NTO starts, including a win in 2012 and a medal-stand finish in his defense.
5. Jordan Spieth -- If you don't follow me on Twitter, you missed the coining of the term Spiething, which is how Jordan Spieth sneaks into the top 10 of an event and no one seems to notice. Spieth was T-12 here last year, and his game plays anywhere.
6. Brandt Snedeker -- Sneds doesn't have the most consistent Riviera record, but he won last week, is set for the Masters and has two top-20 finishes in his last three NTO starts.
7. Webb Simpson -- The 2012 U.S. Open champion has two top-15 NTO finishes (2010, '13). Not a good finish last year, but in the top 13 in his last two PGA Tour starts. Been off since Humana.
8. Bernd Wiesberger -- Why pick a guy who's never played at Riviera? He's 61 under par in his last four European Tour starts, and he hasn't finished outside the top six.
9. Charlie Beljan -- Get on the Charliehorse, people! He's a complete hit-or-miss player right now, but was third at Pebble Beach. He's also been in the top 12 here in his last two Riviera starts. Worth a gamble.
10. Fred Couples -- Couples is an institution in this event. However, why pick him when he's missed the cut two of the last three years? Did you see how he got screwed out of being Ryder Cup captain? I'd bet he's motivated.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Bill Haas -- $9,500
2. Webb Simpson -- $8,900
3. Bernd Wiesberger - $7,800
4. Marc Leishman -- $7,500
5. Charlie Beljan - $7,200
6. Brian Harman - $6,900