Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
The Phoenix area is the epicenter of American sports culture this week, with nearby Glendale hosting Super Bowl XLIX and TPC Scottsdale again playing host to the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Jordan Spieth are among those making their 2015 debuts this week, and the field is deep. Lots of ways to go this week.
Now, on to the picks!
- Bubba Watson -- Watson faded down the stretch to a T-2 finish here last year and has three top-10 WMPO finishes overall in eight career starts. Looked solid enough at Kapalua.
- Jordan Spieth -- Spieth's never played at TPC Scottsdale, so this is a bit of a risk. However, Spieth ended 2015 with two consecutive wins against big-name, albeit small, fields.
- Phil Mickelson -- Mickelson is the all-time money leader in this event and was a winner here in 2013, nearly shooting 59 en route to tying a tournament record at TPC Scottsdale. Modest finish at Humana (T-24) was a good indicator.
- Brendan Steele -- Steele was one of many runners-up last week at Humana, which only further strengthens our tip this week. Steele has been inside the top six in his last three WMPO starts. He likes the place.
- Hunter Mahan -- Mahan won here in 2010 and has been a decent moneymaker in this event since. He'd be great in a one-and-done league this week if you're not using Steele for some reason.
- Bill Haas -- Haas won the Humana Challenge and is playing free and clear since he'll soon become a dad for a second time. Has a couple of top 10s in Phoenix.
- Rickie Fowler -- You gotta like Rickie Fowler going into this week. He had an incredible 2014 and has a runner-up finish in this event back in 2010. He missed the cut here the last two years, which is the only real problem in playing him.
- Brooks Koepka -- The long-hitter is making his first Phoenix start, but he should be able to put up low numbers at TPC Scottsdale. Played great golf, including a win in Turkey, to end 2014.
- Ryan Moore -- It took Ryan Moore a while, but he seems to have figured out how to play TPC Scottsdale. He's been in the top six the last two years in Phoenix. He's a flier since he's been mediocre so far in '15.
- Tiger Woods -- You'd be made if I didn't rank him. Honestly, there are a lot of great options after our top seven this week, including Matt Kuchar, Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas and Patrick Reed. But Woods did have a nice record in three starts -- the last 14 years ago -- here. He should do well, if he can chip.
My DraftKings team for this week:
- Bubba Watson - $14,300
- Brendan Steele - $8,800
- Justin Thomas - $8,700
- Brooks Koepka - $8,300
- Matt Every - $5,400
- John Merrick - $3,700