Welcome back to Golf News Net’s weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we’ll present our top picks for that week’s tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings’ one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
The 2014 portion of the 2014-15 PGA Tour season concludes this week in Mexico with the OHL Classic at Mayakoba. Harris English took a big step forward last year, winning this event by four shots over Brian Stuard. As a resort course, Mayakoba gives up a lot of birdies, which means aggressive play rather than defensive golf is key to victory.
Now, on to the picks!
- Robert Streb: Strebber not only won the McGladrey, but he’s been in the top 10 in his last three starts. At some point, his form will fade, but it’s hard to ignore how well he’s playing.
- Chris Stroud: Stroud loves Mayakoba. He’s finished inside the top five in his last three Mayakoba starts. However, his form has been lousy in the last month-plus. Good place to get right.
- Rory Sabbatini: Sabbatini is starting to play…better. He went T-22 at Sea Island and T-8 at a weak CIMB in Malaysia. He has two top-10 finishes in the last three years here, so worth a good look.
- Charles Howell III: This is another random place CH3 handles very well. He was T-6 last year and has always finished in the top 20 here.
- Spencer Levin: Levin’s worth a look. He hasn’t played since a T-10 in Vegas. He’s played purpose-driven golf in his comeback bid and returns to a place where he lost in a playoff in 2011.
- Will MacKenzie: Willy Mac’s T-2 finish at McGladrey may have been an outlier, but had a T-12 Mayakoba finish last year.
- Brian Stuard: Brian Stuard’s best finish on the PGA Tour? Runner-up. Twice. At Mayakoba.
- Davis Love III: Consider this a deep sleeper, but Mayakoba almost always features a 50-ish guy in contention. DL3 was T-8 in Malaysia and T-41 at McGladrey while busy as tournament host. He’s playing pretty well.
- Justin Thomas: We were a little early on calling for Justin Thomas to get into your fantasy lineups. CUT-CUT-T71….T4. It clicked for Thomas last weekend not too far from University of Alabama, where he played college golf. Maybe the spark he needed. Six of his last eight PGA Tour rounds in the 60s.
- John Peterson: I like Peterson here because he’s 4 for 4 in cuts made this season. There’s nothing spectacular in his finishes, but I do like that he’s making money — which means a chance for birdies, even if he’s 170th on Tour right now in the category.
My DraftKings team for this week:
- Robert Streb – $11,500
- Chris Stroud – $10,900
- Justin Thomas – $8,500
- Spencer Levin – $7,200
- John Peterson – $5,900
- Fabian Gomez – $5,900