Welcome to new PGA Tour season and welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Give them a try with a free entry this week with your first deposit. You could take down our expert picks and win some big bucks.
It's hard to believe that this is the fifth year for the McGladrey Classic. Davis Love III is the chairman and host of the Sea Island, Ga., event, and he has taken a lot of pride in the solid field this event has drawn each year.
The winning score has been in a pretty tight range in the prior four years, ranging from 14-16 under par. The tournament returns to October for the fourth time after landing in November last year as part of the first PGA Tour wraparound season. There's not a real common profile to the four previous winners, but modest length is a plus and being able to handle possible wind off the ocean is important.
Now, on to the picks!
- Webb Simpson: Simpson was fantastic in his title defense in Vegas, which should be enough to give a green light. What makes him tops on our list is he is the best of the six players to post two top-10 finishes in the history of this event.
- Chris Kirk: Kirk's the defending champion in this event and will probably come out guns blazing considering what he has to somewhat feel was a Ryder Cup slight.
- Bill Haas: Haas, who was going to be a Ryder Cup pick before he wasn't, has been a top-15 fixture in his last handful of starts. While he had a runner-up finish here in 2010, he hasn't been to Sea Island since. Nice to know, but not why we'd pick him.
- Matt Kuchar: Gotta love Kuchar here since it's a home game for this member of the Sea Island Mafia. He finished T-7 here a year ago and has never posted an over-par round in this tournament. Solid cash guaranteed.
- Charles Howell III: After barely cashing to start the season at the Frys.com Open, Howell III posted a T-18 in Vegas. He has a pair of top-10 finishes at Sea Island, making him a reliable pick.
- Scott Brown: Scott Brown has gone T-12, T-10 to start the new season. He was T-4 here a year ago. He's got the right mix of current form and past performance.
- Tony Finau: The former "Big Break" contestant is on a tear right now, opening his PGA Tour career with T-12 and T-7 finishes. He hits the ball a million miles, but isn't just a grip-and-rip kind of player.
- Russell Knox: We were a week off with Knox, who wasn't much to speak about at Silverado, but was in the thick of it at the Shriners. He's Scottish, so has the background in potential windy playing conditions.
- Adam Hadwin: The Canadian has been playing outstanding golf between the Web.com Tour and making his way to the PGA Tour. He finished T-10 in Vegas and just seems like the profile of guy who wins this tournament.
- Brian Harman: The Savannah native returns to what's a home game now as a PGA Tour winner. He makes a lot of birdies. He's shot 273 and 272 in two starts here. One was good enough for a 10th-place finish, so I like that.
My DraftKings team for this week:
- Webb Simpson - $11,700
- Scott Brown - $8,900
- Tony Finau - $8,400
- Brian Harman - $8,100
- Adam Hadwin - $7,600
- Sam Saunders - $3,600