One of the most articulate, fun and knowledgeable people in the game, FOX Sports broadcaster (and host of “The Clubhouse” podcast) Shane Bacon joins hosts Mitch Laurance and Darin Bunch for another lively Emergency 9 episode of “Talking GolfGetaways” packed with golf-travel favorites.
- Shane leads off this Emergency 9 (our landmark 50th “Talking GolfGetaways” episode, by the way) with a few obvious selections (if you know Shane or have listened to his podcast) for Favorite Course or Destination Anywhere in the World: The Old Course at St. Andrews (no surprise, having caddied there for a summer), Bandon Dunes (who’s going to argue with that pick?) — but he also praises The Prairie Club in Nebraska, not only for the wealth of wonderful golf (two 18-hole courses plus the Horse Course) but also for the food.
- And what’s on the Bucket List for someone who’s already hit so many envy-producing spots? As so many have before him, Shane yearns for a trip to Australia’s Royal Melbourne — and plans to check it off the list (and hit some of the great courses of New Zealand) as part of his wedding/honeymoon trip Down Under.
- And although he loves the “sneaky good” food at The Prairie Club, you’ll find out why the cuisine at Florida’s Omni Amelia Island Plantation gets the nod for “Best Food He’s Ever Eaten on a Golf Trip” — as well as why Shane feels his “Most Important Thing Besides Golf On A Trip” has to be a cool, friendly, inviting, comfortable post-round recap spot.
- Willing to play golf in the harshest of conditions, Shane gives a nod to having a great set of cart gloves (Ping is his preferred choice) to keep your hands warm as his “Most Important Piece of Apparel” and also talks about why the only true test for him (as a plus-3.4 handicap and former Mini-Tour player) is challenging himself from the back tees. No surprise there, as Darin and Mitch have experienced first-hand the strength of Shane's game — and his love of pounding the driver.
- Rounding out his Emergency 9, you’ll hear why Shane casts another vote for Scotland’s Brora as a “Talking GolfGetaways” favorite for “Course You Wish Everyone Knew About,” but he also makes a case for Pine Dunes in East Texas as well, sending Mitch and Darin scrambling to add it to their personal must-play lists.
We can’t thank Shane Bacon enough for all the time he’s spent with “Talking GolfGetaways” discussing everything from Pelican Hill to Scotland to Bandon to this memorable Emergency 9. Follow him @ShaneBacon and @TheClubhousePod on Twitter.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW
• • •
“Talking GolfGetaways with Mitch Laurance & Darin Bunch” is sponsored by PacificGales.com and can be found on GolfNewsNet.com and across the Golf News Net platform. New episodes post daily, five days per week (for the most part), and “Talking GolfGetaways” is also available on audioBoom, iTunes and Stitcher.
Follow us @GetawaysGolf and @MitchLaurance on Twitter, and use #Emergency9, #TalkingGolfGetaways and #2HaggisBags to hit us with your personal Emergency 9 answers — you just might make it onto a future episode of “Talking GolfGetaways.”