At the conclusion of the Web.com Tour Championship on Sunday, the inaugural Web.com Tour Finals closed as well. With the tournament at Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass settled, the 50 PGA Tour cards on the line through the four-tournament series were decided.
Here's a look at the 50 players that earned PGA Tour cards for the 2013-14 season through both the Web.com Tour money list and the Web.com Tour Finals money list, as well their priority order heading into the new PGA Tour season that begins with the Frys.com Open.
|Priority||Player||WTF Money||Card Via||WT Money List||PGA FEC Pts|
|24||Tyrone Van Aswegen||$44,383.00||WTFML||49||N/A|
|26||Billy Hurley III||$40,233.00||WTFML||41||N/A|
|43||Miguel Angel Carballo||$11,075.00||WTML||23||N/A|
Taking it a step further, we look at the breakdown of how the players earned their cards:
- Of the 50 to get cards on Sunday, just 14 earned their way into the Web.com Tour Finals by finishing Nos. 126-200 in the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup points list. Of those 14, they averaged a 158th place finish in the FedEx Cup race. The worst-ranked player to earn a card was Heath Slocum, who was 91st on the Web.com Tour money list but 195th in FedEx Cup points.
- That means 11 players earned their PGA Tour card for 2013-14 after qualifying for the Web.com Tour Finals by finishing Nos. 26-75 on the Web.com Tour money list. The lowest-ranked among those was Troy Merritt, who was 74th on the Web.com Tour money list, barely qualifying for the Web.com Tour Finals.
- Half of the 50 cards went to players who did not finish in the top 25 on the Web.com Tour money list. For those 25 players, the minimum amount of money they had to earn to get a card was $33,650, which Bobby Gates raked in to finish 35th.
- Of the 25 players to earn their 2013-14 PGA Tour card through the Web.com Tour money list, 15 finished worse than Gates. Two, in fact, earned no money in the Web.com Tour Finals at all (Will Wilcox, Benjamin Alvarado). That means the bottom 15 in priority order came from the Web.com Tour money list. (Perhaps the system needs changing already?)
- John Peterson and Michael Putnam earn special, fully exempt status by virtue of winning the Web.com Tour Finals and Web.com Tour money lists, respectively. They also earn entry into The Players Championship, along with the winners of the four Web.com Tour Finals events (Trevor Immelman, Patrick Cantlay, Seung-yul Noh, Chesson Hadley).