A player ranked as low as 36th (Charley Hoffman) could conceivably play their way onto the American Ryder Cup team with a win this week in the PGA Championship.
Of those most likely to make a charge into the top eight, however, none made a substantial move on Day 1.
Here's a look at the players ranked ninth through 16th and what they shot. The lead was set by Carl Pettersson's 6-under 66.
9. Hunter Mahan - 4,082.23 - 72
10. Steve Stricker - 3,563.07 - 74
11. Jim Furyk - 3,318.12 - 72
12. Rickie Fowler - 3,313.34 - 74
13. Brandt Snedeker - 3,176.79 - 77
14. Dustin Johnson - 3,002.77 - 71
15. Bo Van Pelt - 2,952.98 - 73
16. Bill Haas - 2,460.77 - 75
THAT WAS FUN, RIGHT?!
Get more from GNN in your inbox, including great deals and contests!
If your email address disappears, it worked! We'll never sell your info.