The U.S. Ryder Cup top eight did not change this week, but Scott Piercy may be poised for a late run to impress Davis Love III.
Following the PGA Championship on Aug. 12, eight players will automatically qualify for the U.S. team, captained by Davis Love III. After the RBC Canadian Open, here are the top eight in the standings (with points earned and last week’s position in the top eight in parentheses):
1. Tiger Woods (5,598.86; 1)
2. Bubba Watson (5,446.48; 2)
3. Jason Dufner (5,383.50; 3)
4. Webb Simpson (4,635.50; 4)
5. Zach Johnson (4,402.54; 5)
6. Matt Kuchar (4,320, 19; 6)
7. Phil Mickelson (4,107.11; 7)
8. Hunter Mahan (4,035.73; 8)
Love also has four wild-card selections he will make in September. Here are some current notables:
9. Keegan Bradley: The next two weeks will be big for Bradley. Not only does he defend the PGA Championship, but needs to show he's out of his four-month rut.
10. Rickie Fowler: Fowler took the week off, though seems a lock for a captain's pick because of Love's respect for his Celtic Manor performance.
11. Brandt Snedeker: Snedeker was off this week following a T-3 at the British Open, but his short-game prowess could be huge in match play.
12. Dustin Johnson: Johnson is a favorite at Kiawah Island, which may add pressure to perform in the PGA Championship.
18. Scott Piercy: The RBC Canadian Open winner is suddenly there with an outside shot of cracking the top eight.
THAT WAS FUN, RIGHT?!
Get more from GNN in your inbox, including great deals and contests!
If your email address disappears, it worked! We'll never sell your info.