Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
We had another pair of first-time winners in the PGA Tour's two events last week. In the WGC-HSBC Champions, the only event we did rankings for last week, we left Russell Knox just on the outside of our top 10. He turned out to be our winner, outlasting a number of players ranked in our top 10, including Dustin Johnson.
It was a good week, but not a great one, as we shift focus to Mexico at the OHL Classic at Mayakoba. This event almost always seems to be played in the mid-teens under par, with a mix of older stalwarts and young guns competing in Riviera Maya.
On to the picks!
1. Russell Knox -- Maybe exhausted from the big breakthrough win in China, but Knox has improved in all four starts made in this short new season. He's warm and ready to go on a shorter course than Sheshan International.
2. Matt Kuchar -- Kuchar has been beating up on smaller fish of late, winning the Fiji International by 10 and the Americas Golf Club in a two-man competition on PGA Tour Latinoamerica. Was T-3 here back in 2008, his only start.
3. Patton Kizzire -- The Web.com Tour's best player from last year is running hot on the PGA Tour. Runner-up in Vegas and a T-4 on Monday in Mississippi. Could be the next first-timer to win.
4. Patrick Rodgers -- Rodgers is getting close, but dealing with the Justin Thomas Problem of having trouble finishing. He should be able to thrive on this course.
5. Jason Bohn -- Bohn has been in the top 10 in his last two Mayakoba starts and in the top five in two of his last three PGA Tour starts. Both good omens.
6. Brendan Steele -- The Man of Steele faded on Sunday with a chance to win the Frys.com, then rallied for a T-3 at the CIMB Classic. Playing really well, just lagging a little behind some others in the field.
7. Chris Stroud -- This is a horse-for-course pick because, until a T-23 last year, he was in the top five in three prior years. Had a T-10 at Frys.com on the back of a nice weekend.
8. Harris English -- English, a former winner of this event, is doing nothing spectacular week to week, but he's making money. He's made 15 cuts in a row.
9. Peter Malnati -- Malnati has to have confidence flowing through his veins after the Sanderson win. Maybe he'll crash. But he was T-15 here in his only appearance in 2013.
10. Alex Cejka -- This is an Alex Cejka kind of course, with the German owning a pair of top-20 finishes in the event. He won the Puerto Rico Open, contested on a somewhat similar course to Mayakoba.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Brendan Steele -- $9,900
2. Chris Stroud -- $9,300
3. Alex Cejka -- $8,400
4. Carlos Ortiz -- $7,500
5. Peter Malnati -- $7,400
6. Colt Knost -- $7,400
JOIN GNN PLUS AS AN ANNUAL MEMBER & YOU'LL GET:
- A FREE USGA handicap ($30 value, annual members only)
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- Special discounts and member benefits
- An ad-free experience
- Equipment testing data
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research