Welcome back to Golf News Net's weekly fantasy golf picks, presented by DraftKings.com. Each week of the PGA Tour season, we'll present our top picks for that week's tournament and make recommendations for DraftKings' one-week fantasy leagues.
Have you ever played one-week fantasy leagues? Play with us this week!. Join the golfnewsnet game for just $5, finish in the top 5 of 30 players and win!
The PGA Tour's good run continues with a trip to San Diego for the Farmers Insurance Open. This event is played on two courses over the first two days, with a round on both the North and South courses before making the cut and moving to the South Course for the weekend. Once the tournament is complete, an $11 million renovation of the North Course will be done under the direction of Phil Mickelson. Scott Stallings is the defending champion here.
Now, on to the picks!
1. Brooks Koepka -- Did you see how Koepka played on Sunday? Long, accurate and good enough with his short game to pick up his first pro W in the States. Top eight in his three starts this season. Debut at Torrey, though.
2. Jordan Spieth -- He quietly notched a top-10 finish last week in his debut in Phoenix. Was T-19 here last year with a pair of nervous 75s on the weekend. Discount those in picking him this week.
3. Jason Day -- Day has been a great tip since September 2014. He's also strong in this event, with top-10 finishes the last two years, including T-2 in 2014.
4. Jimmy Walker -- Walker won the Sony Open in Hawaii, so he's on point. Like Day, he's strong at Torrey, too: T-8 in 2012, T-4 in 2013. He missed the cut last year, but we'll call that an anomaly.
5. Bill Haas -- The Humana winner's about to become a dad again, so it's nothing but good vibes. He's been in the money in his last five FIO starts, including three top-1o finishes from 2011-13.
6. Hideki Matsuyama -- Matsuyama came up just short at Phoenix, but he's great everywhere. There are better options in salary-cap leagues, but he's a great pick.
7. Justin Thomas -- Thomas is a work in progress, still struggling to turn weekday opportunities into a strong weekend. He's 80th on the PGA Tour in final-round scoring average. However, his game plays most everywhere and was T-10 here last year.
8. Rickie Fowler -- Fowler was T-46 and well behind the pace at Phoenix. However, it was his first event of the year and expectations were very high. In five FIO starts, Fowler's made four cuts, finishing in the top 20 each time when he makes the weekend -- including a pair of top-six finishes.
9. Marc Leishman -- Leishman is built for this course, with a pair of runner-up finishes in his last five FIOs. Had a very nice 62 at the Sony Open and was ninth in his final 2014 start.
10. K.J. Choi -- Choi had a modest T-22 finish in Phoenix and has cashed in all three starts this PGA Tour season. He was runner-up last year and T-9 the year prior. Good value play.
My DraftKings team for this week:
1. Hideki Matsuyama - $11,700
2. Bill Haas - $9,800
3. Justin Thomas - $9,100
4. K.J. Choi - $7,600
5. Shane Lowry - $6,700
6. D.A. Points - $4,800
JOIN GNN PLUS AS AN ANNUAL MEMBER & YOU'LL GET:
- A FREE USGA handicap ($30 value, annual members only)
- Entry into member-only giveaways
- Special discounts and member benefits
- An ad-free experience
- Equipment testing data
- Exclusive fantasy golf and betting research